What You May Not Know About Tomato Facts
Everyone knows that tomatoes are good for you, but how many people know why? Knowing the tomato facts can help you to better understand why this is considered to be one of the miracle health foods.
Some interesting tomato facts:
- Tomatoes were first introduced to Europeans by explorers returning from the New World. In about 700 AD, the Aztecs began to cultivate tomatoes and it was through them that the rest of the world got tomatoes.
- Today China is the largest producer of tomatoes. This nation accounts for 16% of all tomatoes grown around the world.
- A lot of people don’t realize that tomatoes are actually a fruit and not a vegetable. Although classified as a fruit, tomatoes have nutrients found in both vegetables and fruit.
- Tomatoes are a natural antioxidant that can help prevent a number of diseases, including heart disease and some cancers.
- Did you know that if you make a habit of eating tomatoes in the form of tomato sauce, ketchup, or tomato paste, you can reduce your chances of getting cancer? In fact, men can reduce their risk for developing prostate cancer by up to 43%.
- If you cook tomatoes in oil you can help to increase your body’s natural absorption of the nutrients in tomatoes. Another of the interesting tomato facts is that cooking tomatoes in oil will also increase the plasma lycopene in them.
- Tomatoes are thought to be very beneficial for helping to treat aggressive cancers, even if they have spread to other areas of the body. Although tomatoes are helpful, this is a condition that needs medical supervision so you should always let your doctor decide on your treatment.
- The lycopene contained in tomato products is thought to help prevent the development of cervical and breast cancer in women. It has also been known to inhibit the growth of cancer cells in lung cancer.
- The lycopene in tomatoes is also known to help prevent such conditions as heart disease, plus it is very good for the eyes. Age related issues with the eyes might be prevented if you eat enough tomato products throughout your life.
- Tomatoes are an excellent source of potassium, calcium, and vitamin A and C. All of these are important nutrients needed for optimal health.
- Among the tomato facts include the fact that tomatoes can also be very good for the skin. When you eat enough foods that contain cooked tomatoes, what you will get is protection against UV damage. Studies have shown that when you eat tomato products, you would have 33% more protection from sunburn.
- Tomatoes can protect your skin; researchers now believe that the lycopene in cooked tomatoes help to naturalize free radicals on the skin caused by UV light; therefore they can help to prevent skin cancer. Although you will get some protection from the sun by eating tomato products, it is not enough by itself. You will also need to use sunscreen for maximum protection.